CLEVELAND – The Cleveland State softball program dropped its home contest against visiting UIC, 7-3, at Viking Field on Friday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE: Cleveland State – 3, UIC – 7 (seven innings)
LOCATION: Viking Field – Cleveland, Ohio
RECORDS: Cleveland State 18-21 (14-7 Horizon), UIC 11-28 (8-12 Horizon)
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brooke Albaugh was the offensive charge for the Vikings with a 1-for-4 day that included a three-run shot. On the day, she totaled three RBI and a run scored.
- Aly Packish chipped in a 2-for-3 outing that included a run scored and a walk.
- Becky Hurosky also had a 2-for-3 performance.
- Sophie Spellman also crossed the plate and scored a run for the Vikes.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Vikings and Flames battled through the first four innings without a score.
- Cleveland State finally broke the deadlock in the bottom of the fifth as Albaugh went deep to left field for a three-run homer to put the Vikings up 3-0.
- UIC answered right back in the top of the sixth with four runs of its own to take a 4-3 lead.
- The Flames added three more insurance runs in the top of the seventh and shut down the Vikes in the bottom half of the frame to take the 7-3 win.
Cleveland State and UIC will be right back at it for a doubleheader on Saturday, April 30 at Viking Field. First pitch is set for 1 PM ET. Prior to Saturday's first game, CSU will honor its graduating class with a special Senior Day celebration. Fans will want to be in their seats before 12:30 PM to take in the ceremonies and thank the student-athletes for their accomplishments at Cleveland State.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL
Keep up to date with everything Cleveland State Softball. Follow @CSU_Softball on Twitter, @CSU_Softball on Instagram, like /CSUVikings on Facebook and subscribe to the Cleveland State Athletics Youtube channel.