ATHLETIC ACADEMIC ADVISING
At Cleveland State University, there are three professional advisors to assist approximately 360 student-athletes, which include 18 Division I sports and CSU's esports program. Athletic Academic Advisors are committed to assisting all student-athletes with their educational and career goals. Through a supportive environment, we provide on-going assistance in the areas of: academic advising, course selection, registration, add/drop procedures and deadlines, personal counseling referrals, tutorial assistance, course monitoring, study skills and time management assistance, study hall, and travel excuse notices.
Once a new student-athlete is admitted to CSU, an ATH hold is added to the academic record so that all enrollment decisions can only be conducted by an Athletic Academic Advisor. This hold prevents student-athletes from making any schedule adjustments (adding and/or dropping classes and even registering for a class) until they meet with and receive permission from their Athletic Academic Advisor. Once a student has declared a major, they will also work with an advisor in their field of study. However, due to NCAA academic eligibility guidelines affecting satisfactory progress, all registration must be checked and completed by Athletic Academic Advising Offices.
Athletic Academic Advising at CSU focuses on the collegiate experience from the first year to graduation, emphasizing developmental advising and encouraging self-reliance, academic growth, and accountability. Advisors are available to support, counsel, direct and suggest, but the student-athlete is responsible for his or her own education.
- To graduate every student-athlete who completes his or her athletic eligibility at CSU.
- To safeguard the academic integrity of the University.
- To ensure compliance with all rules and regulations of the University and the NCAA.
- To maintain the athletic eligibility of each student-athlete over their entire tenure at Cleveland State.
- Know your schedule and the location of your classes
- Know your professor’s names
- Pick up all course materials
- Attend all regularly scheduled classes
- Follow proper procedures for travel letter notifications
- Maintain regular communication with professors
- Attend Study Hall sessions (if required)
- Meet with Athletic Academic Advisors regularly
- Arrange tutoring at the first sign of difficulty
- Contact your advisor if you are going to miss an appointment
- Be aware of ALL deadlines. Especially, regarding registration and add/drop
- Return all books at the end of each term. (If you are on an athletic book scholarship)
- Read all of your emails
MEET YOUR ADVISORS
- How to make advising (and other support services) appointments through STARFISH
- Center for International Students
- GenEd Requirements
- Degree Audit
- Majors, Minors, and Catalog Information
- Academic Calendar
- Registering for Courses
- Preparing for Graduation
- Degree Maps
SUPPORT SERVICES LINKS
- Tutoring/Academic Success Center
- Writing Center
- Math Learning Center
- Disability Services
- CARE Team
- Counseling and Academic Success Clinic
ATHLETIC ACADEMIC ADVISING EMAIL:
Athletic Academic Advising Office - Wolstein Center | Peter Lewis Center
Cleveland State University
2000 Prospect Avenue