CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's basketball team opened up its final homestand of the regular season Friday, picking up its fifth straight win in a 68-45 decision over Purdue Fort Wayne. With the win, the Vikings are now 7-7 overall and 6-7 in Horizon League play.
PDF BOX SCORE: Cleveland State 68, Purdue Fort Wayne 45
· Mariah White led the Viking offense with 20 points, while Nadia Dumas added 14 points.
· Barbara Zieniewska grabbed a team-high 10 rebounds on the game, while Nadia Dumas recorded eight and Isabelle Gradwell posted six boards.
· Barbara Zieniewska and Taylah Levy both notched four assists.
· As a team, the Vikings recorded 11 steals, including five from Barbara Zieniewska and three from Mariah White.
· With her 20 points against the Mastodons, Mariah White has now recorded five 20-point games this season.
· Barbara Zieniewska recorded her first double-digit rebounding game of the year, finishing with 10 boards on the day.
· This marked the seventh time this season that the Vikings have posted 10+ steals.
· With her three steals against Purdue Fort Wayne, Mariah White is now tied for 10th in the CSU Career Record Book with 204 total steals on her career.
· Cleveland State is now 8-1 all-time against Purdue Fort Wayne, including a perfect 3-0 mark against the Mastodons this season.
After finishing the first half of play with a 27-21 advantage, the Vikings were able to quickly extend their lead to double-digits over the opening minutes of the third quarter, as back-to-back baskets from Mariah White put the Vikings up by 11 at 34-23.
Cleveland State then extended its scoring run to 13 straight points over the next few possessions, jumping out to a 40-23 lead on a Nadia Dumas layup with 4:41 left on the clock. The Vikings then held a sizeable lead for the remainder of the frame, and even closed out the quarter with a 21-point lead at 50-29.
The Vikings were then able to maintain a 20-point lead for the majority of the fourth quarter, coming away with the 68-45 victory, extending their current winstreak to five straight games.
Cleveland State will wrap up the weekend series against the Mastodons tomorrow (Saturday, February 13), with tipoff set for 1:00 p.m.