ROCHESTER, Michigan – Despite three players scoring in double figures, including a career-best 28 points by Algevon Eichelberger, the shorthanded Cleveland State Vikings fell to Oakland 79-74 Thursday night.
- Al Eichelberger tallied a career-high 28 points on 11-22 (.500) shooting from the floor, a team-high tying seven rebounds, three assists, a game-high tying two steals and one block in 35.5 minutes of play.
- Tonight's contest marked the fifth time this season Eichelberger has poured in 20-plus points (second consecutive game) and the 14th straight game he's scored in double figures.
- Kasheem Thomas knocked down a career-high four triples, on his way to a season-high 12 points. In addition to his 12 points, he also dished out two assists in 26.4 minutes.
- Tre Gomillion finished with 16 points on 6-11 (.545) shooting from the floor, two rebounds, a game-high four assists, one steal and one block in 37.1 minutes.
- Tonight's game was the 10th game this season where the 6'4" sophomore scored 10-or-more points. He was two points shy of tying a season-best 18 points (at South Carolina, Nov. 15, 2019).
- Three players for the Vikings notched 10-plus points tonight, marking the fifth game in a row where such an instance has occurred.
- The Vikings attempted 15 free throws, marking the 26th straight game of attempting at least 10 shots from the charity stripe.
- Cleveland State's bench outscored Oakland's bench 18-7 (+11) and in points in the paint 38-36 (+2).
After finding themselves down by 12 points with 9:37 left in the opening half, 23-11, the Vikings responded by going on a 12-0 run to tie the game at 23. Cleveland State's run spanned 3:41 (8:48-5:07) and was sparked by a Tre Gomillion layup.
After 20 minutes of action, Oakland held a six-point, 37-31, advantage.
Oakland gained its first double-digit lead of the second half, 59-49, at the 8:59 mark. The Vikings wouldn't let that discourage them, as they scored eight unanswered points, including back-to-back triples from Kasheem Thomas.
With 5:07 left in regulation, Thomas knocked down another triple to bring Cleveland State to within two points, 64-62. The Golden Grizzlies countered with a Rashad Williams trey.
Although Cleveland State outscored Oakland in the second half, the Grizzlies would come away with a five-point, 79-74, victory.
In the second half of tonight's tilt, Cleveland State shot .571 (16-28) from the floor, including a .667 (4-6) clip from three-point territory, scoring 43 points in the final 20 minutes of play.
Cleveland State scored its 74 points tonight on 29-56 (.518) shooting from the floor. The Vikings dished out 18 assists on their 29 made baskets.
The Vikings will cap off their three-game road trip on Saturday, Feb. 15 against the Detroit Mercy Titans. Tipoff for Saturday's Horizon League matchup is set for 1 p.m.