CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's tennis team played in the friendly confines of the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion for the first time during the 2017 Spring Season Friday, splitting a doubleheader against Western Michigan (L, 5-2) and Oberlin (W, 7-0).
Western Michigan 5, Cleveland State 2
Cleveland State's two points against Western Michigan came from the senior duo of Victoria Bensimon and Princess Gbadamosi at No. 2 and No. 4 singles, respectively.
Bensimon's victory at the No. 2 spot came as a 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10) decision, marking her team-best third singles win of the spring. The victory against Western Michigan also gave her 62 career singles wins, moving her into a tie for seventh place on the CSU Singles Wins list.
Gbadamosi picked up her first singles win of the spring season at the No. 4 spot, earning a 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (8) victory. With the win, Gbadamosi joined her classmate in the top-10 on the CSU Singles Wins list, moving into a tie for 10th place with 57 career victories.
"I thought Victoria and Princess played some great tennis today to pick up two wins for us, and I thought Isabella played very well – probably the best I have seen her play so far this year – despite falling in her match. I am proud of our effort against Western Michigan, and if we keep fighting hard we will achieve our goals," associate head coach Frank Polito said.
1. Eristavi/Lyubomirova (WMU) def. Spindler/Golawska (CSU), 6-3
2. Bensimon/Schober (CSU) vs. Azcui/Myers (WMU), 5-2, unf.
3. Fevralev/Kuhle (WMU) def. Lenoan/Gbadamosi (CSU), 6-0
1. Melina Lyubomirova (WMU) def. Isabella Spindler (CSU), 7-6, 4-6, 1-0 (8)
2. Victoria Bensimon (CSU) def. Tracy Kuhle (WMU), 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10)
3. Olivia Myers (WMU) def. Jana Schober (CSU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Princess Gbadamosi (CSU) def. Denise Azcui (WMU), 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (8)
5. Katja Fevralev (WMU) def. Blanche Lenoan (CSU), 6-1, 6-3
6. Barbare Eristavi (WMU) def. Katy Quillin (CSU), 6-0, 6-0
Cleveland State 7, Oberlin 0
The Vikings picked up their first win of the 2017 Spring Season in the finale of Friday's doubleheader, posting a 7-0 sweep over Oberlin.
After picking sweeping all three doubles matches to pick up the first point of the day, the Vikings then swept all six singles matches – including five in straight sets.
The senior duo of Bensimon and Gbadamosi both went 2-0 in singles action on the day, with Bensimon notching a 6-0, 6-4 victory at No. 2 singles and Gbadamosi earning a 6-2, 6-0 win at the No. 3 spot. With the win, Bensimon moved into sole possession of seventh place on the CSU Singles Wins list with 63 career victories, while Gbadamosi moved into sole possession of 10th place on the list with 58 career singles wins.
Cleveland State's four other singles wins came from Isabella Spindler (No. 1), Jana Schober (No. 4), Katy Quillin (No. 5), and Blanche Lenoan (No. 6) – all Vikings that picked up their first singles wins of the spring season.
Quillin was appearing in the singles lineup for just the second match this spring, as she battled for a 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (6) victory at the No. 5 singles spot.
"This was a complete team win today, we did a good job of playing until the very end of the matches, and battled to come away with the victory," Polito said. "It was nice to pick up the doubles point, and hopefully we can build on this match and continue to improve throughout the coming weeks."
1. Bensimon/Schober (CSU) def. Hughes/Brezel (OBC), 6-0
2. Spindler/Gbadamosi (CSU) def. Black/Audeh (OBC), 6-1
3. Quillin/Lenoan (CSU) def. Hay/Rich (OBC), 7-5
1. Isabella Spindler (CSU) def. Sarah Hughes (OBC), 6-1, 6-0
2. Victoria Bensimon (CSU) def. Mayada Audeh (OBC), 6-0, 6-4
3. Princess Gbadamosi (CSU) def. Emma Brezel (OBC), 6-2, 6-0
4. Jana Schober (CSU) def. Jackie McDermott (OBC), 6-0, 6-4
5. Katy Quillin (CSU) def. Delaney Black (OBC), 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (6)
6. Blanche Lenoan (CSU) def. Rainie Heck (OBC), 6-2, 6-2
The Vikings will continue their four-match homestand next weekend, hosting Case Western (Friday, February 10) and Niagara (Saturday, February 11) in a pair of dual matches.