TOLEDO, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's tennis team continued the 2017 Spring Season Saturday afternoon, dropping a 6-1 contest at Toledo.
"This was another tough match for us today, we still need to work on our doubles because we aren't playing our best out there, but we continue to get better match-after-match and eventually it will all click for us," associate head coach Frank Polito said. "I liked the fight that we showed in singles today, a lot of the matches were there for us, but we just came up a little short in the end. I thought the team showed great fight and energy today, and we just need to keep working hard and we will eventually get that first victory."
Senior Victoria Bensimon picked up Cleveland State's lone point on the day, earning a 6-2, 6-4 victory at No. 3 singles. Bensimon, who has a 2-1 singles record this spring, is the only Viking to pick up a victory during singles play throughout the first three dual matches.
With her win at No. 3 singles against the Rockets, Bensimon now has 61 career singles victories, and is just one win shy of moving into seventh place on the CSU Singles Wins list.
The Vikings will return to action next Friday (February 3), when they host Western Michigan and Oberlin in their home-opener. Cleveland State will take on Western Michigan at 3:00 p.m. and Oberlin at 7:00 p.m. at the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion on the Cleveland State campus.
Toledo 6, Cleveland State 1
1. Golawska/Spindler (CSU) vs. Huck/Lennabanchong (UT), 3-5, unf.
2. Aleck/Kendall-Woseley (UT) def. Bensimon/Schober (CSU), 6-3
3. Goodland/Miller (UT) def. Lenoan/Gbadamosi (CSU), 6-3
1. Sidnay Huck (UT) def. Aleksandra Golawska (CSU), 6-3, 6-2
2. Colleen O'Brien (UT) def. Isabella Spindler (CSU), 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Victoria Bensimon (CSU) def. DeeDee Lennabanchong (UT), 6-2, 6-4
4. Mimi Kendall-Woseley (UT) def. Jana Schober (CSU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Megan Miller (UT) def. Princess Gbadamosi (CSU), 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. Claire Aleck (UT) def. Blanche Lenoan (CSU), 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (5)