THE OPENING KICK:
• Cleveland State's lone match this week is its Horizon League road opener against Milwaukee Saturday, Sept. 15.
• CSU and Milwaukee have met 48 times, the second-most that the Vikings have faced an opponent and the most among Horizon League schools.
• The teams have met at least once every season since 1993.
• Milwaukee has won the last two meetings after the teams played to a scoreless draw in 2015.
• They have split the past 10 matches, each winning four while tying two.
• This is the second-earliest date in the calendar year that the teams have ever played and the earliest since 1979, when the squads went on to have a rematch in the NCAA Tournament.
LAST TIME OUT:
• A goal early in the second half broke a 1-1 tie and stood up as the game-winner as defending regular-season champion Green Bay topped, CSU, 2-1.
• Senior Noah Pio scored his first goal of the season for the Vikings, who posted a 12-5 advantage in shots in the match.
• Cleveland State was tabbed fifth in the Horizon League preseason poll.
• While it took the fifth seed in 2017, CSU has been seeded fourth or better in the Horizon League Tournament in eight of the past 10 seasons, the highest figure in the League in this span.
• CSU improved its NCAA RPI ranking by 51 spots from 2016 to 2017.
• Vlad Jandric and Noah Pio were both selected All-Horizon League Second Team in 2017. Thomas M'Barek was named to the All-Freshman Team.
• Noah Pio has a point in eight of the past 16 matches, scoring in five of them. Pio was among the top 10 in points, goals and assists in HL play in 2017.
• Thirty one of Cleveland State's last 43 goals have come in the second half. In fact, 12 of those goals have taken place in the 77th minute or later.
• CSU has allowed 14 goals from the run of play in its last 18 regular-season matches.
• Noah Pio is the only returning Viking that played in all 19 matches last year, and he played the most minutes (1,378) of all returning players.
• Antonio Burgoa and Thomas M'Barek both started 15 matches last season, the most among all returning Vikings.
• Vlad Jandric and Noah Pio have combined to score seven of CSU's last 10 goals in Horizon League matches.
• Pio's goal vs. Green Bay was the first time a Viking free-kick taker scored since the opening weekend of the 2016 season (excluding penalty kicks).
• Cleveland State has outshot its opponent in three of its first four matches.
• Noah Pio has scored or assisted on each of CSU's last eight goals in Horizon League matches.
• Among the 20 starts made by Vikings on defense or in goal this season: 14 starts have been made by true freshman or redshirt freshman while the other six starts were made by sophomores.
• CSU has 13 newcomers on the roster, 10 freshmen and three transfers.
• All eight true freshmen that are healthy played on the season-opening weekend. Two more redshirt freshmen also made their collegiate debuts.
• Six CSU rookies have started at least once while freshmen Ryan Kolonick and Saahb Kular have started all four matches on defense.
• Cleveland State hosts Bowling Green in its non-conference home finale Tuesday (Sept. 18) before traveling to Wright State for HL play Saturday (Sept. 22).