2017-18 Men's Golf Season Highlights
The Cleveland State men's golf team captured its fifth straight Horizon League Championship this year and advanced to the NCAA regionals. It marked the ninth League title in the last 13 years for the program and the 10th overall.
Below are highlights from the 2017-18 season.
- Cleveland State won its fifth straight Horizon League Championship and the ninth in the last 13 years.
- The Vikings shot a first round 303 and were in second place after day one. A second round 292 - the lowest round of the tournament - vaulted CSU into the lead - and the Vikings shot a final round 294 to claim the title by 18 shots over runner-up Oakland.
- Anton Krecic was the runner-up at the League tournament, while Blake Prince finished fifth as both players were named to the all-tournament team.
- Krecic opened the tournament with a 76, but used rounds of 71-70 to finish as the runner-up. It was the second straight year Krecic was named to the all-tournament team after he claimed medalist honors last year.
- Prince shot rounds of 74-78-70 to earn a spot on the all-tournament team for the first time in his career.
- Anton Krecic was also named to the All-Horizon League First Team. It was the second straight year he was voted to the all-league team after earning second team honors last year.
- The Vikings were selected to the at the NCAA Columbus Regional at Ohio State's Scarlet Course where CSU finished 13th. Freshman Jules Blakeley was the teams top finisher, tying for 46th place with rounds of 75-75-77 (227) for his lowest 54-hole score of the season.
- Anton Krecic tied for fourth place at the Marshall Invitational (Sept. 11-12) with rounds of 71-67 (138), while Nick Infanti tied for 10th place at 141 (72-69).
- The Vikings second round 280 at the Marshall Invitational was tied for the third lowest round in school history and was the teams best round since a school-record round of 277 in the second round of the IPFW Fall Classic in October of 2007.
- Prince opened the Eastern Kentucky Invitational with rounds of 67-69.
- The Vikings won the CSU Invitational at Barrington CC, defeating Oakland in a playoff.
- CSU had three players post top-10 finishes at the CSU Invitational, including Anton Krecic who finished third. Joey Krecic placed fourth, which was highlighted by a final round 67 and Infanti finished ninth.
- Blakely shot a second round 67 at the CSU Invitational, playing as an individual.
- Anton Krecic closed the fall season by tying for ninth place at the Dayton Flyer Invitational. It was his third top-10 finish in five fall events.
- The Vikings played in the Seattle U Redhawk Invitational from April 2-3 at Chambers Bay. The course hosted the 2015 U.S. Open, which was won by Jordan Spieth. CSU posted a final round 297 at the tournament as Anton Krecic shot 72 and Joey Krecic and Prince both shot 73.
- The season marked the end of the careers for seniors Joey Krecic, Blake Prince and Matt McAdoo. The trio became the third, fourth and fifth players in school history to win four straight League titles, joining Patrick Luth and Paul Minko (2013-17).
- Anton Krecic led the team with a 74.2 scoring average this year, which is the 10th best in a season in school history.
- Anton Krecic will begin his senior year with a 74.6 career scoring average, tied for the third best in program history.
- Joey Krecic concluded his career tied for sixth in school history with a 75.0 scoring average, while Prince ranks eighth in CSU history with a 75.3 average.
- CSU's two team victories this year are tied for the second most in a season in program history.